Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blogfest, contests and awards... OH MY!!!

I know I have a problem,(and a little early but i have a lot to do on the 2nd so i thought i would post this now while i had time) but I can’t help it I love blogfests! And doubly ones that involve writing. Today’s blogfest is held by Alison Stevens and it’s all about what your character owns and how they live!   The rules seemed simple enough “you need to describe a setting that tells us something about your character's personality. Characters can be of any age, living in any time or place. But don't tell us about the character; tell us about his or her stuff. We'll get to know the character from what you write."

Now, I’m kinda crazy. When I sit down to create a character after I figure out their basics I figure out their stuff, I have folder upon folders saved of color palettes and home layouts pictures of furniture and all that sort of stuff. So I am sure you could see why this blog fest would appeal to me.

I picked the character I did more of less because his lack of stuff, after all I could write pages upon pages about pretty much all of the others.  And I did try to keep it short, truly.

So without any more of my ramblings: this is the home of Tullio D’Anna the III, a character from my W.I.P. Born For This.

It was a small living area, no more than 400 square feet total, and it was cold inside. The walls and ceiling where painted a shade of blue so light it was almost white; the floor was made from wenge wood, so dark it was almost black, and polished to a high shine. The small apartment was Spartan, immaculately clean and held only the most essential of items. All of the furniture was made out of the same wood as the floor, held the same polish and was made for function rather than comfort.

The door opened into a living room, inside there was a short couch with a wood frame and white cushions that sat next to a short book case that held a few books about strategy and history and a small wooden coffee table. In the corner sat a simple desk that held the first evidence of human occupancy, a sleek black lap top that sat open and hummed softly as it slept. The drawers of the desk held little more than an assortment of pens, paper, envelops and the like.

The small living area opened in one direction into the kitchen that held the necessities; a small fridge that was sparsely stocked, stove, sink, and a small wooden table with only one chair. Through the door in the other direction was the bedroom. The bed was made in military precision; its white bedding tucked in tightly and neatly with perfect corners and looked like it might be a little short to hold the man’s six foot frame. On one side of the bed stood a small closet that revealed several sets of the same outfit perfectly pressed; black pants inside of a rich federal blue coat with silver piping and buttons. The coat had a high collar and on the left side of each coat collar sat a perfectly aligned set of silver rank bars. Next to the closet sat a small dresser, the insides of which were a sea of black; perfectly folded pairs of socks, boxer briefs and undershirts. On the other side of the bed was a night stand and on top of that sat the only personalized effect in the whole place, a platinum ring with a wide face that depicted the D’Anna coat of arms.

The bathroom was connected to the bedroom and was the only room that held any warmth. While the floor was made of the same wood as the rest of the apartment the walls and ceiling in here where painted a softer pale sky blue. And instead of the standard shower in the corner as all the other apartments on the base had he, had replaced the shower with a large white porcelain tub with gold claws that kept it suspended above the ground a few inches.  A few plush towels hung next to it.  Above the tub, set into the ceiling, was a light that showed directly down on the tub giving the appearance that it was not a tub but instead an alter for him to worship at. Turning around it was a scant 10 steps back to the front door. It was small, especially for captain’s quarters, but it was more then he needed.  

Thank you for taking the time to read, hopefully you understand a little more about him now ^.~ comments and critique is always welcome, after all I’m still trying to come into my own in this world of writing.

Also since you are here I am holding a contest for my 100 follower so be sure to pot over here and enter! The winner will get $15 at amazon and who doesn’t like free money?

And be sure to sign up and check out the Now Starring Blogfest I am holding with my BFF Lindz. There are TWO prizes up for grabs there and should prove to be a lot of fun!

Finally, but not least of all Thank you to Gina Blechman over at Kaleidoscope Thoughts: Life, Love, and Dystopia for awarding me the Stylish Blogger Award! 


I totally feel the love! And as per the rules here are 7 facts about me

1: My biggest dream (besides being published) is to own my own hair salon that specializes in alternative hair styles and colors
2: I love Anne Boleyn; she is one of the biggest inspirations in my life
3: I’m obsessed with Greek Mythology, I am a virtual hub for all information dealing with the myths and if I don’t know then I can find it very quickly.
4: I love to cook
5: Tamora Pierce and Libba Bray are my favorite authors
6: I’m engaged to the most wonderful man in the world who has turned me into one of the biggest geeks in the world (true the ground work was already laid down, but still…) and proposed to me with action figures of one of my favorite super hero couples. 

7: My cat is currently sitting on my boobs and making it very difficult to type

16 comments:

  1. I love blogfests too, and I'm signed up for this one AND yours! :D

    I liked your description - I definitely got an idea of what your character is like, but now that I know (or think I know) he actually IS in the military, maybe I'm judging him unfairly :P

    Checking out your competition now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot! And yes he is in the military ^.^ a captain in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blogfest entry. You really get the sense of the character's practicality and no-nonsense nature. I hadn't guessed military per-se, but something along those lines.

    Congratulations on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the award!

    I love how your fiance asked you to marry him. Very original. And I will be sure to ask you if I ever have a question on Greek mythology ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good blogfest entry. Dang. Now I really need to write something good. You set the bar high. Very nice.

    Nice to meet you crusader and fellow blogfest person (I couldn't think of a better word. Forgive me. My brain is in a flu induced fog).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great descriptive passage. I really got a feel for your character's no frills personality. Although the plush bathroom towels made me wonder if maybe he likes a touch of luxury, after all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to guess military before I got to the end. Someone who has no need for coddling. Except for those plush towels, and the altar-like tub--so close to the door? Maybe he's also an exhibitionist. ;)

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Like Alison I'd guessed military, but he's more than just a captain, he's of aristocratic blood or that of secret sect and not an American. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's a banana farmer!
    Obviously, I'm not allowed to guess, cuz' I know this particular military man... Thank god for that! :3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you all are great guessers!

    It not so much that the tub is close to the door that the flat is very small. He is very no frills and very OCD.

    And WOW Francine you hit the nail right on the head!

    And the towels and the tub, hinting towards not so much a need of luxury but a special relationship with water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely written.

    I would guess, but you told us. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredibly vivid description. I love the dichotomy between the bathroom (particularly the girlyish bathtub) and the rest of the apartment. That aspect humanizes him a bit and adds an element of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your award, woo! Nice learning more about you, too. An alternative hair salon, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Cats tend to make everything twice as difficult! I really liked Tulio's apartment. Sounds clean and dark. I like dark colors. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your award! <3

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking a high ranking non-com.

    This was detailed.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blogfests are awesome! Although, this crusader biz is keeping me busy right now. Love to cook, also - and lol about your cat. My dog does that... :) New follower and fellow crusader just (finally) making the rounds. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete